Thursday, June 4, 2015

Throwback Thursday: Harvest Road Farmhouse!

Abandoned Farmhouse - Harvest Road -Photo credit: Vanishing South Georgia
Harvest Road House- Front Porch

Harvest Road House- Exposed Beams and the Attic

Harvest Road House: Broken Window Next to Front Door

Harvest Road House- Exposed Parts of the Chimney 


 Since it is Thursday #TBT, I decided on sharing some of my more recent adventures: The Harvest Road House of Candler County, GA! From what I have learned, this house was likely the home of a farm laborer. A very common find in the rural areas of Georgia! Some of the wood floors in a few of the rooms (I think there were about 3-4 bedrooms) have been harvested, so we weren't able to even walk into a few of the areas. It was about a 5 feet drop straight down to the dirt, and I wasn't interested in breaking an ankle that night! But judging by the huge exposed support beam I saw that ran the length of the house, I would say this place definitely dates to after 1900. The cut of the beam was too perfect, leading me to believe that it was likely one done by a machine, making its construction from the early 1900's instead of the late 1800's. My guess on the age of this house would range from 80-90 years old. It is in poor condition as it stands and is seriously full of junk. From old beds, couches, retro soda cans, and even a creepy chair I had to get a picture of, since it added such a nice "abandoned" touch to the front porch! It would take a lot to restore it, but if I had the money, I SO would take on that adventure. You can easily tell by walking this lonely place's halls that it was once a beauty.

** The first photo posted is not one that I have taken, but it is a photo that one of my favorite photographers took! His name is Brian Brown, and he explores all over south Georgia taking amazing photographs of the vanishing historic architecture from the 1800's-1900's. Discovering his photography website has helped me out incredibly in my own search for abandoned locations around my area. These places are glimpses into the past, and if they cannot be saved structurally, then I am at least happy that people like Brian are around to photograph these forgotten homes. At least they will always be remembered through art as they fall to the hands of time.

Check out Brian's website here:  http://vanishingsouthgeorgia.com/

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/vanishingsouthgeorgia

No comments:

Post a Comment